Many women are now building a strong industry presence and taking leadership roles as the gender gap in tech industry leadership roles decreases.
To acknowledge and recognize their contribution and get to know them better, we continue our blog series featuring women game changers in the mobile industry.
Manager, Strategic Partnerships, MoPub
- What do you like most about your role?
I love my team. They show up with personality and passion everyday and I love that I get to show up with them. As a manager, the most important thing I can do is meet people where they are and provide coverage so that the team knows how best to move forward or help provide clarity when there is ambiguity.
- What is the one skill required to be an effective Strategic Partnerships Manager?
‘Yes, and...’ - The rule-of-thumb in improvisational comedy is also core to how we build relationships and find momentum with our teams both internally and externally. We recently did a team improv class and it was extremely interesting to see how the same techniques of collaboration, flexibility, and playfulness lend themselves to building trust and connecting deeply with our partners. It helps us think dynamically about ways to problem solve and come with a positive point of view.
- How do you stay ahead of changes in technology?
Listen to a bunch of podcasts that range in topics. Most recently I’ve been consuming ‘Design Matters’ hosted by Debbie Millman who interviews a spectrum of people all focused on creative culture. It’s not technology led, but I always find something interesting that’s happening in culture and subsequently how that may manifest in technology. Also, I work at Twitter so I would be remiss not to mention that you can always get a good pulse on the industry and technology by simply logging on.
- What do you see as the next big trend in mobile marketing?
We are hearing a lot about the importance of identifying the most effective way of buying inventory or Supply Path Optimization. As publishers continue to diversify their demand connections and header bidding proliferates on desktop we see a shift in the way DSPs evaluate their access to inventory. Mopub launched Advanced Bidding for in-app publishers and while there are many nuances to desktop’s header bidding the goal to unify the improve the waterfall is the same. I think we have a big opportunity to highlight the effectiveness of our direct SDK integration with app developers and how that translates to better buying paths and efficiencies in buying for our DSP partners.
- What do you see as the biggest challenge for women in tech and how do we overcome it?
One of the biggest challenges for women in tech and women in general is overcoming the imposter syndrome. That sense that you don’t really belong. Knowing that you have a place at the table and a valued perspective is not only important but true. I think one way to overcome this is to give women space and time to explore their ideas and come with a receptive mindset. Reminds me of the Lady Gaga ‘there could be a 100 people in the room..’’ publicity tour. She’s right -- sometimes you just need one person to see you.
- What three words best describe you?
Sincere, silly, driven.
- What causes are important to you?"
Supporting working moms. As a relatively new mom to a 2 y/o the transition has been at times overwhelming, energizing, and deeply humbling. It’s important to feel supported at a company that values both career and personal development opportunities. Parental leave and supporting the transition into and out of that leave is paramount to empowering women to stay in the workforce. It’s a great time to be a woman. Now the question is, how do we pay it forward?
- If you could witness any event past, present, or future, what would it be?
The big bang. Show me the secrets of the universe!
- What is the best advice someone has given to you?
I have two:
- ‘You get what you give.’ This is a driving mantra in my day to day. How you show up and what you are willing to give to your team, friends, and family is what I believe defines you.
- ‘If you are uncomfortable that’s a good thing’ - If it’s easy it’s most likely not worth it.
- Can you name the apps you use daily?
I’ll break this down by vertical..
- News: Twitter - truly the best way to consume ‘what’s happening’
- Social: Instagram - my discover page is runneth over with ASMR slime videos
- Gaming: I love Hue - it’s like color therapy for puzzles
- Music: Spotify
- Utility: Notes
- Productivity: Slack… although productivity is, at times, debatable.
- Health: Shopbop